Saturday, August 4, 2012

Motor mount and other progress

I removed the motor mount from its original position, extended the bottom, and mounted it right behind the transom.   This time it fits:


As before this only with bog holding things in place:


The motor in the up position should not hinder the tiller except at the extreme leftward limit of travel...from what I can tell anyway.   It is hard to visualize the swing of the rudder on the aft-cabin model.

Once satisfied with the overall design, I bogged in the support arm and laid a single layer of uni around it lapping onto the outer hull.   I also taped the ends of the arm using 'A' glass.   I hope this is enough to hold everything secure:


Fairing compound on the poptop:


My quick-and-dirty jig to locate the position of the traveller support arms:


But the bulk of my time has been spent on fairing the top and sides of the boat; fairing just kind of sucks you in and eats up the hours like no tomorrow.   Lordy but my arms hurt!  :)   I am creeping closer to almost primer-ready though:


On the bright side, I realized that I have already made a lot of progress on the "fiddly" areas...bow-web, beam mounts, hatch coaming, etc.   The bottom of the boat should be much easier, right? 

2 comments:

Tor Rabe said...

Jay! Good to see you back in business. The bottom is nothing once you finish fairing the cockpit and the aft end of the boat. It's a great design and have proven even better than expected on the water, so just hang in there and get out sailing!

Jay said...

Thanks for the encouragement Tor!