Sunday, August 19, 2012

Window cutouts

I decided it was past time to finally get the window cutouts done.    I confess to being quite conflicted over the precise placement of the windows...but in the end decided I could not afford hours or days of contemplation on this chore (and didn't want to even if I had the time).  Here's one side marked up and ready to cut (in pencil, may be hard to see):


Port side windows after being cutout:


I did have a major *!#$@$ screwup though...I forgot to take the main cabin aft bulkhead into account when drawing the port aft window cutout, causing me to jigsaw my way all the way into and partially through that bulkhead:


Sigh...I admit to being tempted to slap some bog in the crack and just move on (the urge passed quickly).  The right fix is to re-tape this area on the inside and outside.   Which means having to grind away the fairing compound on the outside and re-fair the area (dang it).    (The inside wasn't faired very well yet, thankfully.)

Otherwise I spent most of the last few days doing battle with the interior.    I think the boat is winning the war though :) - I'm getting tired of trying to sand in weird positions with no leverage.  I am trying to save some energy to fabricate a couple of storage shelves in the aft cabin, but otherwise I'm keeping it simple.   On a positive note, my Fein Multimaster has been a godsend in the small spaces and corners. 

I am fairing and sanding everything up to the deck-line; the overhead will be saved for when I flip the boat over.  Otherwise, everything forward of the fwd beam bulkhead is ready for primer though (IMO, using my "good enough" standard), and I am getting very close to fairing the deck (floor) in the main cabin.   This picture was taken through one of my new windows:


(I'm curious, did any other builders fair the underside of the settees??   I'm not going to! :-) Unless someone gives me a good reason to do so...)

On a personal note, several nieces and nephews are staying with us this week so I've had lots of curious company checking in on me as I've been working.  I have to remember that fairing compound looks mighty tempting to little fingers!  Also, I am BBQ'ing a couple of pork shoulders for dinner - I put them on our BBQ (Weber Smokey Mountain smoker) around 6:30 am, which means I had the tantalizing aroma of hickory smoke wafting through the boat all day long.    Life is good - I'm building a boat, my granddaughter is visiting, and a tasty bbq dinner and a well-deserved beer (or three) are in my very near future...

(Edit:   this is my 200th post!   Feels good - although maybe if I posted less the boat would be done by now... :) )

3 comments:

Dave Harman said...

I enjoy your post! Your doing a great job !
Dave Harman
F-32AX 67

Dave Harman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jay said...

Thanks Dave! (I deleted your duplicate comment, btw).