Friday, August 24, 2012

More top-side fairing

I'm inching closer to flipping the boat upside down...the main cabin interior is mostly faired (that word "mostly" is a scary one, I now realize):


The forward-most deck and under-settee areas was just a nightmare - you can see on the left where I started to spread some fairing compound, but then called it all off when I found I had almost zero access to the area.  I could stick my arms up there but had basically no leverage for sanding.   So I called it good enough on the spot :).  Will have to live with just a quick primer coat, minimal sanding, then a topcoat finish in that part of the boat. 

I haven't touched the aft cabin yet though - I am trying to resist the temptation to leave it "unfinished" since I don't think I'll want to start dust-production activities in the middle of an otherwise finished boat.  

The final patches on my window cutout fix:


I'm pretty happy with how that repair turned out...it is fairing nicely into the other well-faired portions of the cabin-side.

Sanded notch-coat in the cockpit:


With the fill-coat on:


And I finally glued on the traveller:


Note the arrow on the end of the traveller to indicate the top-edge (with the embedded aluminum plate).   Truely it would be a travesty to tear out the traveller only to tack it back on tomorrow.

Otherwise, progress today was minimal due to maintenance tasks around the house (mostly mowing and weed-whacking) but I'm feeling good about where I am.

No comments: