Friday, August 10, 2012

Aft mast support sockets

These are pretty easy to make, but here's a few pictures anyway.   This is right after pouring thickened epoxy into the mold next to the aluminum tube:


Note that before doing this, I cleaned the tube with acetone, sanded it with 80 grit to give the epoxy something to "key" into, then cleaned it with acetone again.   They turned out looking good:


After mounting against the transom and glassing over with a single piece of "A" glass:

Next was a light piece of cloth to cover the tops of the sockets and join them to the swim step deck, followed by the drain hole (1/4" hole located 1/4" from the bottom of the tube).    Filling the bottom of the tube with bog was easy - just enough until it started to run out the drain hole :).  

My only other comment on this work, is that I wished I had used small bolts instead of threaded rod (that I cut to fit)...one of the threaded rods stripped itself out of the hardened bog and I had to re-inject the hole through the rudder web access holes in the aft-cabin, then re-insert the rod and wait for it to harden again - not much fun.   

No comments: