Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Traveller supports attached

Both traveller supports are glued on and covered with carbon fabric:


Check out that aft-cabin top - looks nice and fair, eh? 

The wingnet rail laminations covered up some compartment drain holes; my festool drill 90-degree attachment helped me to open them up again (drilling from the inside):


I love my festool stuff...wish I had more!

Otherwise I've mostly been fairing, with a lot of time spent on the transom and beam mount - although they're still not primer-ready.   I have to switch to other jobs occasionally to keep morale up.

It's hard to spend hour after hour on fairing without wanting to share some personal insights...  For most exterior hull sections I am using the notched-trowel method of fairing.    Granted, it is not a perfect method - I still have to do a lot of minor patching to get a truely fair surface.   It is however more efficient and easier in the long run (IMO) though than the "trowel on a flat layer" approach that I used almost exclusively back when fairing my floats.    Also, sanding through the fairing compound into glass occurs much less often this way than it did with my floats.

Here is the notch coat on the next hull section:


After curing and sanding down flat:


You can see some of my Dura-Block sanding blocks in the picture above - they work great, I'm very satisfied with them.  

And then the initial fill coat:


I find it is important to resist the urge to sand the notch coat as far down as possible - you would expect that the initial fill coat will end up flush with the top of the ridges, but it doesn't work that way.  The fill coat usually shrinks or settles just slightly, such that it sits slightly below the ridges - so if the ridges are left at bare minimum to begin with, you will have a hard time getting a fair surface without potentially sanding into glass.    So it is better to leave the ridges slightly higher than minimum, then sand them down as needed to meet the fill coat.    (After that, normal patching proceeds as needed - the notch coat method just helps to get you close to a fair starting point.)

I spent a lot of time today spreading fairing compound on the main-cabin interior (no notch-coats in there - just not enough room to do a good job in most spots).    Fair warning, my goal is to get the interior to a "good enough" state - don't want to spend the time for anything better.  

I am also trying to make a molded-channel to hold the acrylic main-cabin hatch cover pieces (similar to what Tor did).    Rather than making mine in-situ as Tor did, I am making a channel blank which will then be glued\laminated to the boat.   I'll share details on how it turned out in a later post. 

No comments: