Friday, August 8, 2008

Starboard settee and rudder mount

Last year when I installed the daggerboard case support web, I only taped the upper portion, thinking I'd wait to do the bottom until after I had rolled the boat to a more helpful position. I changed my mind on that and taped it upside down - lots of fun. Glad I wore glasses and a hat.

Next was the starboard settee; here it is set into position so I can tape the backside:

After all taping was done:

Here's the foam bed for the rudder mount:

I've decided to double the foam thickness after of the transom\aft-cabin, per the option described in the plans. I'm a big guy and I'd like the boat to be as strong as possible. Here I'm taping over a extra layer of foam that I glued to the lower portion of the transom:

I'll be glueing the rest of the double-layer later on. Also you can see the cutouts for the rudder mount in the picture above.

Trial-fitting the mount:

My levelling strategy worked great and was easy to adjust.

I first tacked the mount into position with a heavy layer of bog on the bottom of the mount, then let that cure (didn't want to risk it moving around while I was taping). Here's some of the mount taping:

I guess I could have done a neater job of taping, huh?

Finally, here's the rear deck all closed up and taped:

Doesn't seem like much for two days work, but I am really glad the rudder mount is in. I've also removed 90% of the remaining screws holding the hull to the battens. I'll finish that up tomorrow, but I think I'm now ready to remove the hull from the frames.

No comments: