Sunday, August 10, 2008

Starboard lower hull laminated

This morning my neighbor came back over and we lowered the hull the rest of the way down:

No sounds of creaking or other distress from the hull so I'm assuming all is well. I rough-faired the lower hull foam and got ready for laminating. Here I'm rolling up 22 feet of 'A' glass on a tube:

About 2/3rd's done:

And all finished:

You can also see in the picture above how I've rough-faired the gunwale line as well; doesn't look too bad IMO.

I made sure I had the requisite 2" overlap at the join seam; usually it was more like 4-5" overlap, but in the heat of battle (laminating) I just wasn't willing to stop and trim things up. The keel is a good place to have a little extra glass anyway.

Our dog "Beau" was out supervising for part of the time; he's a 9 1/2 year old boxer:

Tomorrow I need to build myself some main hull cradles. Then in the evening my neighbor will help me hoist the hull back up and then lower it into the cradles. After that I'll start fairing the edges of the deck and gunwales and get ready for finishing the exterior lamination.

No comments: