Monday, August 11, 2008

Main hull in cradles

Slow day today, but I did get two cradles built:


Obviously one cradle is for form frame #5, and the other for #8. I measured the distance from the hull bottom to the gunwale line at each of those locations and built the cradles so that the hull would be positioned roughly to make the gunwale lines level forward-to-aft. I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but hopefully it will get me in the ballpark.

Later my neighbor came over and we got the hull lifted up again and positioned in the cradles, on top of the strongback:

Cradle fit turned out good (I traced the outlines using the FSP's):

Check out those snazzy handles on the cradles...and I wonder if the thrift stores will want their baby mattresses back - free! (only a little bit of epoxy added)

From the rear:

I can push down on the rear deck with just a little bit of force and lever the bow up into the air - pretty cool.

Eventually I will remove the strongback and put the cradles directly on the ground, but right now it makes a good level platform for installing things like, beam mounts.

I am thinking about making another cradle to support the transom. Although in theory it won't be needed after the exterior lamination is finished and the beam mounts are installed.

3 comments:

chris moller said...

wow jay, she's looking really nice... keep up the good work! cheers Chris

Ed said...

Looking good, Jay!

You will need to support the transom, at least temporarily, when cutting the gunwale away and laminating in the aft beam bulkheads... After that, shouldn't need to support there anymore

Jay said...

Thanks guys.

Ed, in theory I agree with you and that's also what the plans say. However I was thinking, a support under the transom would prevent the bow from levering up if someone (a big someone, like me) was to walk out to the aft-most edge of the aft-cabin deck. I could also strap the bow to the strongback and that would also work. It may not be a big deal, since no other builders have mentioned this. But I am probably at the head of the class in F22 builders in the weight category so I tend to worry about stuff like this. :)

Jay