Wednesday, August 13, 2008

More transom work plus shop cleanup

I've been working some more around the transom. Here's the rest of the double layer of foam on the hull areas getting fitted (left side already glued, right side dry-fitted):

Glueing the right side:

Cutting the glass to size:

With the lamination all done:

You can't tell from the picture but I made the fillets nice and large, and ran a round-over router bit over the edge of the rear deck, before lamination. Should look really nice after fairing.

I climbed up into the boat for the first time today and sat in the cabin - then fell under the "sailing daydream" spell. Felt really, really good to see what I've accomplished so far. The cabin feels roomy to me, even with the daggerboard case. I can tell that I'll have to be very careful walking on the cockpit floor - it's quite "spongy" under my weight. Best to keep my feet near the hull sides where the fillets and tape are.

I lost some time yesterday to a household plumbing emergency (leak) which kinda sucked. I've been working on rough-fairing of the hull foam - as usual it's difficult wherever you have bog sticking out. I'll do the best I can but will then leave it up to the fairing to make it look good.

I finished up the day with some shop cleanup and made a run to the dump to get rid of accumulated debris. This was needed to make more room along the starboard side of the hull - was getting tired of ducking under the gunwale:

Plenty of room in the "shop" for more main hull work now.

4 comments:

Ed said...

Jay -

Regarding the cockpit floor being spongy; Have you already added the second layer of foam and extra laminates to that area?

Jay said...

Not yet - I'm actually pretty impressed that I can walk around at ~300lbs with just the 3/8" core. Looking forward to that extra foam layer though.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Is there any way/need for an additional support under your cockpit floor? If it's feeling weak to you now, will it hold up to you slipping/falling hard on it?

Jay said...

Ray,

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but I suspect once the extra layer of foam is in place, and the gunwales are formed (thus reducing the length of the unsupported span), that this will no longer be an issue. I've not seen any reports from builders with completed hulls that this has been a problem.

Jay