Saturday, May 23, 2009

Starting to fair the bow interior

I cut out and edge-filled the 6" inspection hatch for the fwd bow compartment. Due to the water-tightness requirement (presumably in case of collision), I'm going to use a low-profile inspection hatch. Also spent time sanding and cleaning up the bow cavity work from yesterday.

I dug out my fairing compound supplies and did some work on pre-fairing the anchor well; here it is getting a suntan to help it cure:

I had a visit from Andrew this afternoon. He wanted to take a quick look at the main hull and see how things were going. It was fun talking with a fellow F22 builder.

After that I decided to start fairing the interior bow area. I'm dreading this job, so I figure I might as well get it over with. Took longer than I expected to just get the fairing compound applied, and it was nearly impossible to get it smooth in the very front area, eg under the bow bulkhead. Had to resort to using a gloved finger to spread the stuff around and hope for the best.

This is how I left it for the night:

I haven't yet installed my flange for the large bunktop hatch - that space is excellent for kneeling in while you work on the fwd area, so I decided to wait a bit.

I'm still thinking about the paint I'm going to use for the interior. Probably going to just use Alexseal again, but I think I will roll-and-tip this time; I can only imagine the blinding spray cloud that would develop if I tried to spray inside the boat.

Tomorrow I will be spending most of the day with family, but by Monday for sure I will be wearing a respirator and sanding on the interior. I'm not sure when I'll be ready to install the anchor well, depends on how the sanding goes. Also planning on cutting out the fore-deck hatch for better access after the anchor well is installed, and cutting out the poptop area - right now it's pretty awkward getting into the boat from the cockpit.

No comments: