Saturday, July 4, 2009

Main cabin flange

The plans call for a heavily reinforced flange around the main-cabin entrance\hatch. I made up mold plates yesterday and then installed them this morning:

The straight blue lines are a reminder to me to overlap the glass at least that far, so I have enough to trim later on. Here's a view from above:

I laminated the bottom first (doing bottom and sides at the same time is left as an exercise for the adventurous reader):

With sides in place:

Side view after removing the mold plates:

All of this work was aided by the fact that we've been having a very warm weekend (high 80's deg F), so I got nice fast cures. Even so, I didn't watch the bottom laminate close enough and it cured into a slightly curved shape, instead of a flat flange with rounded edges. Ah well, could have been worse.

Here's how it looks from outside:

It would have been better to do this big flange before the cockpit seat fronts, but it worked out okay.

Finally, it's been a long couple of days in the sauna-tent, but I'm feeling good about my progress lately:

Tomorrow, I'll trim the flange and laminate the B glass on the other side.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Looking good! We finished laminating the exterior (except the bow and final piece on deck at frame 5) this afternoon. Going to turn back on its keel next week and start to install the beam mounts.

Be glad you're only in the 80's - it's been a balmy 100ish for the past 2 weeks here and working on the boat has been downright brutal.