Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cockpit compartments?

I spent too much time today staring at the plans and at other builder blogs, trying to get a handle on how I'm going to subdivide the under-seating area in the cockpit. Here's one possible design I came up with:

Obviously I'm trading off those big interior compartments for more "semi-dry" storage for the cockpit. But I think this is a reasonable tradeoff, since this is an aft-cabin model (ie, there's plenty more storage in the rear). The small space behind the aft beam mounts will be made into a "wet" compartment, so that there is at least one path for water to drain out of the cockpit. If anyone has feedback on this, I'd love to hear it....very soon :), before I started taping the sub-compartment bulkheads.

I dry-fitted the starboard cockpit seat tonight...it needed only minor trimming (corners, etc) to fit into place:

Onwards and upwards...

2 comments:

Tor Rabe said...

Hi Jay! Nice progress, I like to have you back in building business!

I think much like you, and I will probably trade off even more interior storage and make a huge top opening semi-dry compartment on starboard side. Need to figure out how the galley will be though.

Jay said...

Tor,

Thanks for your comment about the cockpit compartments. It was very reassurance to me in deciding to move ahead with my plan. :-)

Jay