Sunday, April 13, 2008

Inching closer to frame takedown...

Ok, so what got done this weekend?

Well, I taped the inside of the bow. That's actually more work than it sounds, since you're stretched out trying not to slide down the gunwale, while shoving wet tape up into a tiny space... But eventually I got it all done, and even peelplyed it.

Here's the test fitting of the trailer bow hook HD:

Once happy with the overall "fit", I bogged it into place with peelply on the inside to make taping later easier.

I decided to do the keel reinforcements before doing the final layer of "A" glass. That meant having to finish up the foam fairing around the keel, then back-fill the plank seams that weren't filled all of the way. Here's it all done, with peelply:

Yeah, the form frames are obviously shot for any future use. I keep whittling away at them whenever I need more space to do something.

Saturday morning I bagged on the first half of the second layer of "C" glass onto the daggerboard. Turned out pretty good. Unfortunately that operation used up the last of my vacuum bagging film, so I decided today to try to do a regular wet-layup on the second half, along the trailing and back edges:

I baby-sat it for quite awhile, making sure the glass was wrapped tightly around that edge. Let's hope it turns out ok.

Otherwise, I spent the rest of the weekend fairing foam and getting ready to laminate certain parts of the exterior. The deck (both main cabin and aft cabin) is all faired, and I also back-filled the plank seams. The lower hull half is faired but not yet back-filled. I decided that I'm not going to try to laminate over the gunwale, since getting the edge transition right will be very difficult to do while up in the air on a stepladder. I forgot how tedious it is to backfill all of the plank seams (easy, but tedious). Anyway, here's how it's looking right now (actually this was before back-filling the seams):

You can also see that I've pretty much got the bow leading edge all formed. I did end up glueing on a third piece of foam to the bow, but I'm not going to make it super-sharp; about 1/4-1/2" at the bottom leading edge, about like it was on my floats. Should be good enough.

I did not make further progress on the bow eye, since I decided I'd better get the bow leading edge nearly finalized, before trial-fitting the bow-eye.

4 comments:

GK said...

Jay,
Some great pictures in the last couple of posts. I've been more 'away' than 'with' my build lately but I can tell you your blog journal will help me a lot later on. Can't get enough of joined main hull pictures. The F22 always looks somewhat like an extremized large 505 dinghy hull to me. Very fast indeed.

Your daggerboard shape also looks very familiar to me :)
Grant

toms said...

Jay
If I may ask? what are the dimensions of your shelter, did you puchase this from Harbor Fright. I think your photo's are great and I think you owe it to your tent. It sure lets in a lot of light. I live in southern Ca and I am limited on room to build.
I have learned so much from all of these building blogs. I wish all of this was around when I built my last boat about 20 years ago.
Tom Severson
Santa Clarita CA

Jay said...

Grant, thank you; I will try to keep up with the pictures.

I've been really busy with work, and this week my mother is visiting, so progress has slowed a bit.

Curious, how much do you (or anyone, actually) like having the hi-res pictures available? I don't mind uploading them, but I've consumed over 60% of my 1GB limit on Google\Picasa. If I go over, I might need to pay $10 a month (year?) to maintain the storage. Which is not a big deal if folks think the hi-res pictures are valuable, but I'd like some feedback.

Jay

Jay said...

Hi Tom,

Of course you may ask! My shelter\tent is made by Clearspan (FarmTek) and is 14'x28'x10'. I almost bought the 24' long version and am really, really glad I didn't - not much room to spare with that length.

Also, I have an early blog post that you might want to read:

http://seattle-f22.blogspot.com/2007/01/boat-building-shelter.html

You are right about the amount of light it lets in; during the day it is simply fantastic and no electric lights are needed.

Jay