Sunday, April 6, 2008

Daggerboard support web and other stuff

Not as much progress as I was hoping for today. I glued in the two inside layers of foam at the bow, but didn't tape it yet. The bog is all peel-plyed and it should be ready for taping next time I work on the boat. I also need to fit the trailer eye insert; I have two layers of HD foam glued together and curing, to form that piece.

I realized - a bit late - that I still had not made my bow eye, so that got started:

I glued the daggerboard support web into place, and taped it in on the upper side:

Here's how it looks from below:

The blocks are temporary of course, in order to make sure the panel stays level. No blocks on the daggerboard case, but the fit was tight enough that the panel didn't move while I was taping. You can see some flange glass for the fwd bunktop hanging down on the right hand side as well. I'm debating with myself whether to tape the support web from the underside now, or to wait until after the hull is upright.

I also bagged the carbon fiber on the other side of the daggerboard; next up will be bagging the second layer of C. This time I will bag\laminate it in two steps. Takes more time, but is less stressful. :)

I spent some time fairing the foam on the upper (port) hull half; I am reasonably pleased with the fairness at this point, but I know once I get started fairing for real (after exterior laminate) that it will be a big job no matter what. It is fun to see the hull lines start to emerge.

Spent some time staring at the upper bow exterior corner, trying to figure out how I am going to close it in. Next time I think I'll just grab some foam and thermo-form it into a nice curve and see what happens. Sometimes you can paralyze yourself with too much thinking.

I dry-fit the bow bulkhead into place and it looks like it will fit with little or no modifications - always a good sign that things are lining up well.

Finally, I submitted my order for the folding system parts (made by Precourt, but ordered through Farrier Marine), and also submitted my deposit for the beams. I see some wallet pain in my future...

4 comments:

toms said...

Looks like your project is moving right along and it looks like the building process is pretty straight forward. I have a question. The beams and brackets are a little pricey, do they give you the option of building your own? Or mold your own. Just the cost in shipping alone from Australia is very high. What do you say
Thanks
Toms
Santa Clarita CA

Jay said...

Hi Toms,

The design\specs for the folding system brackets are in the plans, so you can build those yourself if you want. Since I have only primitive metal fabrication skills (at best), I'd rather pay the price to get good high-quality for these critical parts.

The beams are a different matter; Mr Farrier is not supplying plans for the beams and you must purchase them through him. You're right, they are quite expensive but I don't have any choice if I want to finish the boat. :)

Jay

Tor Rabe said...

One F-82 builder told me the beam building was the worst part of the entire building process. He would really like to buy them finished if possible if he would ever build a folding tri again, rather than building them himself once again.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on both your blog & boat.I may save you some work if you are going to build your own rudder.The carbon on the foils are only needed on a foam core.