Saturday, August 13, 2016

Windows drilled

When I got done attaching the trailer keel bunk today, I worked on drilling holes to mount the windows.  I considered mounting them with modern window adhesives but for some reason just wanted to try it this way.    I ended up with 29 holes for each pair of windows, or 58 for the entire boat.    Took awhile:


Pile of windows ready to be mounted:


All that is left is to pick up a cheap MAPP torch from the hardware store, so I can flame-polish the edges.   I tried it on scraps of acrylic with my propane torch, but it's not quite hot enough and takes awhile.  

A note about mounting hardware.   The plans say you can use barrel nuts for a cleaner interior look.  The barrel nuts I have been able to find are just way too expensive, so I'm going back to the washer-and-nut approach.  

No comments: