Friday, August 5, 2016

Starting tiller and trailer mounting

Poptop is now fully painted; here was an intermediate stage where I was getting ready to paint a nonskid area on the top:
 
 
I had a major boo-boo. After fairing the outboard support bracket, it ended up too thick to mount the motor:
 
 
Sheesh - really?  How did I let that happen.  Anyway, had to grind back the fairing compound (both sides) before it would go on, tried to minimize impacting the glass as I went:
 
 
I started fashioning a tiller, one piece (straight, then bend) at a time, mocking it up by taping it together:
 
 
Tiller will be 1.5" across and 2" tall.   Using high-density foam at the tiller attachment point, and also at the "handle" area.    I still have enough carbon fiber left over, should be able to do the entire thing. 
 
Laying out windows:
 
 
The plexiglass cutting blades made by Bosch are awesome.   I free-handed all of the window cuts and the edges look great, should be easy to polish up.
 
 
Regarding windows, the plan instructions are confusing regarding degree of round-over:  different amounts depending on which window\edge?   Is it for visual impact?  Anyway, I would follow the plans if I could fully understand what they specify in this regard, but this is one tiny area where I just don't get the intent.  Will probably end up with a standard round-over on all edges - don't want to slow down for tiny cosmetic details.
 
Working on trailer mounting now.  Unfortunately, the trailer design does not allow for the original plan of screwing the keel bunk board directly to the cross members.  So I had to order, and wait for, some support brackets for the keel bunk board.  This is only at an initial dry-fit stage:
 
 
Brackets are heavy-duty:
 
 
More later.

No comments: