Wednesday, July 27, 2016

More little jobs

Lots of little jobs going on...
 
Painting various compartment covers:

 
Dug my daggerboard out of storage.   Previous fairing efforts were just barely ok, but I'm not willing to spend a bunch more time on it.   First I applied two coats of high-build primer and sanded that down.  Here I decided to hang it up so I can apply the sealing primer to both sides in one step:
 
 
Not fun painting a hanging item by brush - the piece swings around too much.   Doubt I'll do it that way again.
 
Dry-fitting the anchor locker cover:
 
 
I didn't take a picture of it with the hinges fully attached and the door working, but it turned out great.  Which surprised me - I hate jobs like that.  :-)
 
Cockpit non-skid is finished: 
 
 
For future reference, I won't do pre-masking on future non-skid areas again.   Too easy even with careful masking to get edges that are not painted (tiny slivers of primer showing).   Better to non-skid over a real coat of paint, that way things are definitely protected.
 
After sanding the first two sealing primer coats on the dagger board, it still didn't look that good:
 
 
...so it got two more coats, plus more sanding obviously.
 
Poptop being dry-fitted so I can get ready to paint it: 
 
 
You can see the over-sized, epoxy-filled, screw holes for the anchor locker  hatch in the above picture as well.
 
Drilling over-sized holes in the poptop for the slides:
 
 
The tape on the drill bit was supposed to help me not go through the other side when drilling...it didn't work very well:  I ended up with a bunch of holes on the other side to patch.   Worse, when I was filling the holes with thickened epoxy, I didn't realize that I'd drilled through and was trying to fill "bottomless" holes until I figured things out, duh (and my table saw got some epoxy drips).   
 
This is after applying third coat of paint to first side of the daggerboard: 
 
 
This was done by brush, much easier and faster than spraying.   You can see some of the brush strokes still in the paint, hopefully they level out.   And yeah I know, most daggerboards are white but this is a pretty blue and I have plenty of navy blue paint left, and paint is mega-expensive, so... :-)   
 
 
 

No comments: