Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Motor mount part one (fail)

I tried hard to come up with something "innovative" for the outboard motor mount, but in the end decided to simply copy Jim B. and Ed (and probably others) and just build a mini-transom on the swim-step to hold the motor.    I was concerned that the tie-down clamps of the motor mount would have too much compression for a normal composite beam, so I decided to go with 1/4" marine plywood (leftover from my dinghy project) over a foam core, with two layers of "A" glass over that.    There will also be a fwd-and-aft beam to support the corner of the mini-transom.   Here are the blanks for these materials:


(I'm not a composite engineer but if this isn't sufficient then I guess I might as well have just glassed over a 2"x6" wood beam...)

After laminating the blanks I then cut the main support to fit the swimstep...


...bogged it in place (no tape), and then mounted the motor and rudder cassette to try things out.*     Note, the support here is only bogged in and it seems perfectly capable of holding the motor:


I think the rudder-to-motor clearance is good, but the darn motor can't pivot all the way up before it hits the aft cabin rear bulkhead.    I estimate I needed about another 1" of clearance.    In retrospect I guess I should have mocked this up (although that's hard because the motor is heavy) - I was mainly using the motor dimensional specs and measuring against the boat.   Well, on the bright side this gave me an excuse to buy a reciprocating saw which I will use tomorrow to saw through the bog holding the motor support in place.    Then I'll work on relocating it back farther.

*Full disclosure about a year or two ago I decided to speed up progress by "cheating": I bought Ian's pre-made rudder cassette and rudder.   Progress stalled anyway, unfortunately...

No comments: