Sunday, June 7, 2009

More beam mount prep

Only had the afternoon for working on the boat, but I am very close now to glueing the beam mounts in place. Despite my misgivings yesterday, things are starting to look pretty good: all four mounts are leveled, side-braces are installed, and the only thing left to work on is fixing the starboard forward mount to be vertical. It's not too far out right now, but I didn't realize until after I quit for the day that I was trying to adjust it with the mount still clamped to the bulkhead:

Here is one of the side-braces:

No the brace is not touching the hull, there's a sliver of space between them. When I first saw the side-braces in the plans, I thought they'd be flimsy and do almost nothing to help the beam mounts stay aligned. I was wrong, they actually helped quite a bit.

The rear beam bulkheads are not vertical unfortunately, and needed some shims to help get them there; I was thinking I may tape the LFS brackets on the rear mounts right after glueing, rather than relying just on fillets to hold them vertical:

Oh yeah, here's my stern support:

I haven't constructed an inside-the-boat brace to ensure squareness (like Menno) but I did check the diagonal measurements (at centerline+12" on each side) and only had a 1/8"-minus difference. So I am just about ready, since I don't believe more work at this point will result in more accurate results. I think I can fix the one not-quite-vertical mount during glueing with some careful shimming.

One thing that the plans don't mention, is how to apply bog\putty to the mount flanges (and behind the bulkhead 'bar') when the mounts are all tightly jigged into place....seems like taking them apart would be the perfect opportunity to throw everything out of alignment. I think though that the LFS brackets can be done "at leisure" after the upper mount flanges are glued, re-jigged, and re-aligned. We'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI
glad your working on your boat again and your health is ok. I have been looking at the aft-cabin hatch and others. How in the heck is that a opening hatch to get into. It looks so small. It does not look like a traditional door and hatch I am used to seeing? It looks like a big pain, just to get in and out of. No head room.
Anyway, All of your hard work is paying off. Lookin good.
Tom Severson
Saugus CA

Jay said...

Thanks for the encouragement Tom.

I've never thought of the aft-cabin hatch as door-style hatch. I think its usefulness is limited to ventilation, and being able to easily store and retrieve "stuff" into the aft-cabin from the cockpit. Don't think I would ever try to fit myself through there...

Jay

Anonymous said...

Hum
I really do not understand. We are talking about the rear aft cabin.The CUDDY CABIN, Looking at the plan it is said that a person or a small child can sleep in the rear cuddy cabin. If you do not enter through that hatch, How do you enter the rear cabin?
Thanks
Tom Severson
Saugus CA

Jay said...

Hi Tom....the other way to get into the rear aft cabin, is through the passageway under the cockpit floor.

"Passageway" might be glorifying it a bit, but it's definitely accessible. The rear aft cabin, while quite roomy once you're back there, clearly (IMO) isn't a place on the boat that a adult would feel comfortable popping in and out of frequently.

Jay