Friday, June 19, 2009

Aft beam mounts laminated

The geometry of the beam mount mold plates and how they get fitted into the boat may be interesting to some, so forgive me if I have quite a few pictures in this post. First up was the tedious job of finishing the mold plates and wrapping them with masking tape. This gives you an idea of how I held the pieces together:

Set into place:

I had a reasonably tight fit to begin with, but later I secured the mold plates with some duct tape to the outside of the hull to make sure they didn't move around. I also checked the mold plates for level and plumb, although this wasn't specified in the plan and therefore isn't critical.

Backside interior view:

Top shot:

Dry fitting the glass to get an idea of how big a piece I needed; once I had the first piece traced out, I used it as a pattern for the other pieces:

I used one single piece of glass for each of the main "C" layers. It really wasn't too bad that way, just takes time to massage the glass around all of the curves (of course it's easy on the aft mounts since there's a lot of room to work in).

I'm very pleased with the final lamination quality:

It was helpful that I did this on a very warm day, so things were curing nice and fast. I tried not to use more glass that was needed to get the specified 3" overlap, but in the middle of a lamination it's hard to remember to stop and trim glass...trimming wet glass is especially not-fun.

The mold plates popped out relatively easily, thankfully. The finished (exterior) surface turned out very nice (kinda hard to see in this picture though):

The beam mounts (unsurprisingly) require a huge amount of uni glass...my once gigantic roll of uni is shrinking rapidly:

Here's my "jig" for cutting "D" uni glass to a 3" width:

And finally, here's all of the uni glass required for both forward beam mounts, including the pieces trimmed to fit against the roof...phew, this was a lot of trimming and cutting!:

I am almost ready to laminate the forward beam mounts. Still thinking of the best way to close up some of the gaps between the hull and the mold plate.

No comments: