Sunday, June 14, 2009

Compression pad lamination

This morning I dismantled the beam mount jigs; there was only a little bit of "spring back". I sanded down all of the rough spots left from the bog job and filled the bolt holes in the LFS brackets per the plan.

Next up is the lamination process. I had previously made the compression pad formers, so that saved some time:

Laminating these things was a bit of a pain. My uni glass should be good quality stuff (purchased from Ian at beginning of project), but it is not very flexible and likes to return to its original shape. This particular lamination has several curves, and worse, much of it is upside down. After messing with the first one for a bit, I decided to not trust it and used the heat gun to speed up the cure while continually pressing the glass back into place.

Here's a view of a finished compression pad:

I also did the initial uni and C glass on the rear beam mounts:

Doesn't seem like much for several hour's work...

No comments: