Just a brief post to cover putting the float cradles together.I have seen some really nice looking float cradles on the web, that look CNC cut and robust enough to hold up the Titanic. For awhile I was thinking that I had to create some cradles that kept up the tradition, and this was slowing me down a bit. This evening after work I got exasperated with myself and said "just build something, dang it". So I did.
I did have one good idea (for me anyway) which was that I could use the form frames themselves (#5 and #9 of course) as patterns:
This let me avoid having to get the form frame full size patterns out. Of course, the form frame lines are 3/4" off from the real hull (battens). So I scribed a line 1/2" inside of the frame lines, to give a little wiggle room, then cut out those parts with a jig saw. I cut out two pieces per cradle, and screwed them together so the float had a nice thick base to sit on. The cutouts formed little half-moons which I then used as side-braces:
A little bit of work later, including smoothing over all the edges with the sander, and I had a little family of these guys:
You can tell I wasn't being too precise with my jigsaw work, so some of the lines are a bit rough. Not worried about that, but I am wondering if they will be stable enough when I start sanding the hulls and whatnot. We'll see, if not I can always add some long side braces. I'm still debating about what color stain to go with (joke).
Here's the port float sitting up on the cradles:
I can tell already, that finishing the keel taping from the upright position is definitely the way to go; looks like even the bow bulkhead would be pretty accessible like this.
Here's an aft shot: