Thursday, May 27, 2010

Coamings laminated

Here's the dry-fitted and dry-cut glass for the fwd cockpit coamings:

Wetted-out and peel-plyed:

The glass that wraps-around into the beam mounts was a pain, and I suspect some of it probably lifted off after I quit for the night; will have to fix that later.

You can see in the pictures that I already did the rear cockpit coamings; I used a red sharpie pen to mark the cut lines, but it looks ugly so from now on I will keep to black :).

Here I'm scribing the settee storage compartment top:

Scribing is one of those things that once you "get it", your life becomes much easier...it's a very cool technique.

That first night I taped the undersides of the settee tops (lots of fun), then did the top taping the next night:

I've also been trying my hand at welding. I can safely say that it will take some practice before I try to do anything important:

Here's some observations on welding from a complete newbie:

  • It ain't as easy as it looks on YouTube. :)
  • Heat control is everything. The tenth bead in a row on a piece of aluminum requires a lot less heat (amps) than the first one.
  • "Dipping" the rod without contaminating the electrode takes practice - each of the dark spots in the picture above is a spot where I screwed up.
  • Proper sharpening\shaping of the tungsten electrode makes a huge difference in how the arc behaves.
  • The foot control is easier than the hand torch finger control (since you already have the "give it the gas" instinct from driving a car).

Those of us here in the U.S. of A. have a three-day holiday coming up (Memorial Day), so hopefully I can make some good progress over the next few days.

3 comments:

CrashGybe 22 said...

Hi Jay,
The big thing with welding is penetration. I have seen aluminium welded where it looks good on the surface but the oxide does not allow the penetration to occur. Have a go at welding 2 bits together at 90 deg. It is important to fillet the corners so that the join penetrates and fills between the components.

Keep the posting up, I am trying to put heaps of posts up to get interest in building F22's and yours is looking really close compared to mine.

Andrew
www.andrew-mcleod.com

John Franklin said...

"It ain't as easy as it looks on YouTube"

LOL... and you thought it would be easy?

Yep, dipping the electrode is a BIG no-no when welding aluminum.

One more tip... cleanliness is VERY important. Clean all surfaces very well prior to welding. I think they make some aluminum prep solutions... you might want to take a look at those. If you do dip the electrode when doing some "real" work, stop and file out the defect then thoroughly reclean the surface.

Anyway, looks like you are making lots of good progress...

Jay said...

Thanks Andrew. I am working my way up to actually trying to weld two pieces of metal, but a T-joint is definitely the one I am looking forward to trying.

John - good to hear from you. No I didn't think it would be easy...I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. But it was a bit more difficult than expected. :) Practice will help. For cleaning, I washed the metal down with acetone, then scrubbed everything with a stainless steel brush (and yep I've read about how to reserve the brush only for aluminum so it doesn't get contaminated).

Jay