Saturday, November 10, 2007

Upper starboard hull half laminated

I laminated the upper hull half last night -- it was a very cloudy day, which helped keeped the outdoor temperature reasonably high (low-mid 50's deg F). Working by myself, I started around 4:30pm and got done close to 10pm. Long night but I was glad to get it over with.

This morning I got to work checking for bubbles and sanding down the laminate. Overall it turned out well - a few small bubbles but nothing too concerning. Here's the new laminate, and a pile of sanding dust (my $(@)!@($* dust hose connector fell off the hose, and I can't get it connected again):

After patching the bubbles, I worked on trial-fitting the fwd beam bulkhead. That said, my plan has always been to lay the port hull half on top of this one so that I can get the bulkheads lined up exactly. Since the weather was nice today, I figured I might as well get the port hull half moved back in side the tent. Fortunately my neighbors were once again willing and able (thanks guys!) to help out. My wife was home this time and took a short video clip of the action:


The fit to the starboard hull half is overall extremely good . There is however a large gap between the fwd deck sections, I am not sure what caused this; maybe the hull deformed slightly while sitting in the back yard? (Ah, the trials and tribulations of a backyard boat builder.)

A tent-ful of boat (anyone want to buy some sawhorses - cheap?):

A view from the inside:

Tomorrow I'll fine-tune the placement of the port hull half, and get started marking bulkhead locations. Should be fun, crawling around inside of there.

One more thing: my rudder web is very nearly complete, and is turning out very, very nice. (IMO, of course). Here I'm putting on the extra two layers of carbon fiber on the lower gudgeon:

And this is after vacuum bagging on the uni-glass on both sides of the web:

Earlier today I laminated on the extra layer of C around the lower gudgeon, all that is left now is the cosmetic glass around the gudgeons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay -

Fun times! Liked your video. Looks great.

Andrew.

Jay said...

Thanks Andrew. Yeah, my wife was having quite the chuckle watching our efforts. However, it's all done and I feel much better having the hull sitting on top of the forms, instead of the sawhorses in the backyard.

Jay
(who's being lazy on this brisk fall day)

biol said...

Thanks, Jay, for your video !
Now I know your voices and they are voices of happy people.

You really did your best to have a so supporting wife ... I mean: that kind of laugh is a supporting one, isn't it ?

It's incredible to see all these F-22 to come togheter and show up around the world, as flowers in spring. Just sown mine !

Biol