Sunday, October 14, 2007

About ready for starboard planking to begin

Not a lot of progress today - was hampered by a fit of laziness, induced by the fact that it is my birthday today and my wife was baking goodies for me :-).

Here's the reversed frames after mounting, but before battens:




And this is where I left off:

As I've mentioned before, my form frames are plywood because I was worried about water absorption if I used MDF instead. I've found that although plywood does not swell up and disintegrate like particle board or MDF would, it will still take on a warp under moist conditions. I was fighting this today by screwing stiffeners onto my frames to try to remove some of the warps. This is a big deal, since virtually every single measurement you do will be taken off of a form frame. If I had to build outside under these conditions again, I think I would try MDF, but would seal every inch of the outside surface of the frames with epoxy (after cutting them to the FSPs) before use. Might get the best of both worlds that way.

3 comments:

biol said...

Happy birthday !

Anonymous said...

Take the day off and dream with a glass of wine or 2.

Jay said...

Thanks guys!

Jay