Monday, July 30, 2007

Trial-fitting of wingnet rails

It was a late night at work for me so I only had about an hour to work on the boat. Generally speaking I hate to do sanding with only that much time available, so I worked instead on trial-fitting the rails. Some folks have been asking me about what the rail-to-float geometry looks like, so these pictures should illustrate how it goes together.

The below picture shows my plan for holding the rails in place while I'm gluing them down (the 2"x4" wood will be covered in masking tape, just in case). I am going to glue the rails on in two phases: the rail-to-deck flat joins first, followed by the under-rail-to-float-edge. That way I can control the rail positioning exactly during each phase.

A view from the long end (the rear of the rail is not clamped down so it torqued out of position a bit, which is why it doesn't look parallel to the float centerline):

And one from underneath:

I need to trim off the excess on the bottom of the under-rail supports, and you can see the line I drew on the rear-most support in the above picture. Anyway, hopefully I'll get the rails all glued and taped on this week, and be fairing by Friday.

One other thing I forgot to mention last night. My HVLP spray gun came with a 1.1mm nozzle\needle combination. The literature for Alexseal's high-build primer says you should use a 2.2mm set -- wow. I couldn't even find an Accuspray "Prokit" in that size, so I settled for a 1.5mm set. Long story short, when I tried to spray with the 1.5mm nozzle, it felt like I was guiding a fire-hose (and this is what contributed to most of the overspray, I think). After my first coat of high-build I switched back to the 1.1mm nozzle (guidelines be darned) and it was much better. When I bought the HVLP kit, the technical guy at AxisPro told me that the default nozzle was "good enough" for most applications and based on this experience I guess he was right.

One more comment: Saturday's high-build spraying was my first opportunity to use Alexseal's "primer accelerator", and I was curious to see how much of a difference it would make. Well, when I sanded down the high-build on Sunday, the primer was nice and hard, and I had much less clogging of the paper to deal with. Two thumbs up! :-)

No comments: