Some time back Ian offered a limited number of 10mm aluminum wingnet eyes for sale, and I picked up a batch. After painting the beams it was time to fit the wingnet eyes, first by drilling pilot holes, then the final hole, then tapping, then mounting the eye in an epoxy sealant. There are approximately 36 eyes to be mounted.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was learning about tapping - it's not something I've done before. Here are the first two tapped holes of my life:
Pretty awesome feeling, threading something into that that first hole :).
Here I'm trying to do it for real:
However even after going to the R' drill size, I have still had a couple of plates fall off inside of the beam. Very frustrating - at some point I am going to have to play a fishing game to see if I cannot recover the plates and get them lined up.
At one point I tried drilling two small temporary holes to either side of the main hole, just as a means of keeping it in place while I did the main tap:
It worked but was awkward.
I'll update later on the status of my plate fishing expeditions - I have about 8 or 9 plates to recover :-(. Not looking forward to that - but I'd rather try than deal with them rattling around.