Monday, October 19, 2015

More primer and other progress

My wife and I took a trip to Philadelphia last month for a week.   Four days before we left, a tiny, tiny, $2.95 rubber part that seals the spray gun trigger rod on my new spray gun fell off and was lost.  And no local suppliers - very frustrating, this resulted in four days of less-than-expected-productivity.  

The gun I'm talking about is a new Lex-Aire Pro Series TA spray gun I got earlier this year after trying (poorly) to disassemble and rebuild the original gun that came with my sprayer.   The Lex-Aire is all-metal and much easier to keep clean.   Other than the one part falling off, it has worked well.

Anyway, here's some boat progress pics.

Boat masked and prepped for finish primer coat(s):


It was after I sprayed the first coat on the above, that the spray gun part fell off - which meant I got to sand everything down again (to 150 grit).

My "paint station":


Perhaps the spray gun snafu was for the best, I used some of the time to do my wingnet cutouts:


After our Philly trip I finished up the finish primer coats on the upper half of the boat.  Then we flipped the boat back over (without mishap this time) and I got things ready for finish primer (three coats) on the bottom, which I sprayed yesterday.   First coat was dark gray:


Here is a video of me spraying the first white primer coat:
 


Even after the two white coats, you can still tell that dark gray is under there on the bottom as compared to the top:



Due to the cooler weather I am giving these primer coats a few days to cure, so I started getting ready to paint the interior.    After going back and forth on using full-bore marine paint vs latex, I finally decided to do it right ($$$ marine paint).    This was taken after brushing on a couple of primer coats to the forward interior:


My wife wanted a neutral color for the interior, we are going with Alexseal's Whisper Gray.  I will use the same color for the non-skid areas on the main hull and floats.

No comments: