Sunday, September 13, 2015

Catchup post - 2014 progress

I'm trying to catch the blog up, hence this belated post.   Not much to show, but I did work on the boat a little bit last year.   Same old story - working a lot, six-day weeks for almost two years in a row (I like my job so this is not as bad as it sounds).    Also, looking back at my picture archive, I did virtually nothing in 2013 (spent most of my vacation time on a three-week trip to Europe) so don't expect a catchup post for that year.

In September 2014 I found some time to continue fairing the bottom of the boat.   I decided to apply a skim coat of epoxy just to seal things up (and hopefully to help fix some of the minor imperfections).   This picture was taken right before I applied the epoxy:



As you can tell, the masking was quite rudimentary.    I wish I had some pictures of the epoxy coating, but as I recall it was one giant sticky mess - not fun.

After sanding the epoxy coat smooth, I applied three coats of high-build primer:


And then that's how things sat over the winter.  

No comments: