Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bottom fairing

Notch coat sanded down:


Sanding the keel area was done by climbing on top then kneeling down - I couldn't reach much of it otherwise.    This was too bad since the keel area had a lot of areas that will be needing fairing attention and I don't think I did the area justice (yet).

First fill coat on:


A fly decided to donate himself as reinforcing material in the fairing compound:


The next day I got busy on sanding the above areas again.   This is where things get hard, dusty, and sore, and you just have to suck it up.   I climbed up on top and started sanding down the keel area....well, the hard-core attitude lasted about ten minutes - at which point I quickly decided that it would take forever to sand the keel area from above and started thinking of a way to prop up the boat at a better angle.    I decided that my cradles, turned on their side and cushioned with baby mattresses, would do the trick:


Note the 2"x4" scraps screwed to the OSB floor sheeting to stop the cradles from sliding.   This new position definitely allows better access and productivity - I wish I had done this to begin with.  Better yet I was able to do all of this myself; the hull is nicely balanced and not too heavy for one person to maneuver. 

This evening I did some more block-sanding and then put on another very thin fill coat (my notch & fill coats didn't work as well as I had hoped, but at least I'm headed toward a fair surface):


It's starting to shape up.   I still have the port side to do after this part is done, but one thing at a time.

2 comments:

Tor Rabe said...

Great progress Jay. I did the whole bottom sitting on top, wish I was as smart as you because this looks much easier. Keep on the good work and attitude! I'll try and find out how to fix my float after last night's storm.

Jay said...

Thanks for the encouragement Tor!