Saturday, August 8, 2009

Outboard engine

After more investigation, I finally settled on a Tohatsu 6hp 4-cycle outboard engine: the "MFS6BUL SailPro" model, with a 25" shaft. I bought mine online from Online Outboards; they had a good price to start with; combined with free shipping and no state sales tax, it was the best deal I could find.

My nephew Daniel and I slapped together a storage mount for the engine when it's not on the boat:


I will order some casters to make it easy to move around.

I am also investigating outboard brackets. My goal is to know, well before fairing or painting, exactly how my outboard will be attached so I do not have any problems later on, e.g. with extra reinforcement. Adventure Marine has a simple but expensive fixed bracket, and I am also looking into the various Garelick models.

Regrettably I have some deadlines hanging over my head at work, so today was a short day on the boat, and tomorrow I will be at the office. I did finish taping the settee stiffeners in place. I spent a lot of time studying the settee seat back arrangement (see my post on the google F22 group), and also spent a lot of time dry-fitting the fwd coaming panels before finally settling on an arrangement; I then laminated the backsides of coaming panels and should be ready to start installing them next time. Oh wait, shouldn't I fair, prime, and paint the coaming compartments first? :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jay - am in Victoria BC and would love to come and see your F 22. Any possibility of a phone call - my cell is 250 415 2139
Jim Allen

Anonymous said...

thats a nice engine you got there. if youre looking for more outboard related stuff, look at this, i stumpled upon a place thats really great.
www.mcmarine.net
the pretty much got everything you could need and if they dont, simply ask, contact them. they are really nice and fast. www.mcmarine.net

cheers, bob